Why do we have skin?

Skin is a dynamic, protective organ that grows, stretches, shrinks, creases, and wrinkles in response to a person's age, habits, weight fluctuations, and the environment. Skin serves many important functions including:
  • protecting the body from environmental factors such as bacteria, fungus, viruses, allergens, water, and chemicals
  • regulating body temperature by sweating and adjusting blood flow to the skin
  • synthesizing vitamin D
  • helping the body sense touch, pain, temperature, pressure, and position
  • providing some protection against the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays via the skin protein melanin

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

Does your skin contain protein?
The skin is composed of water, protein, and fat. The most commonly known proteins in the skin are co...
What is the role of squalane in the skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Squalane is a naturally occurring oil found in human skin. This fine emollient does a superb job...
How much do we sweat?
During extreme conditions, a person can sweat between three to eight pints an hour. In those cases, ...
Why does my skin change as I age?
Dr. Kelly TraverDr. Kelly Traver
As we age, we all start to see and feel changes in our skin. Some of these changes are natural, unav...