What is the dermis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The dermis is the layer just below the epidermis of the skin. There are many elements that make up the dermis, including oil glands, collagen and nerve endings.

The dermis is the middle layer of skin. It is the thickest skin layer and is made up of two sublayers that contain small blood and lymph vessels, nerves, hair follicles, sweat and oil glands, and nerve receptors to sense touch, temperature, pressure, position, and pain.

Dermal cells called fibroblasts manufacture collagen, a type of connective tissue that comprises about 95% of the dermis. Collagen gives skin its strength and resilience. Fibroblasts also manufacture elastin, a protein that makes skin flexible. Breakdown of collagen and elastin contributes to wrinkling.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

Is my skin normal for my age?
Your face is your most precious asset - and the condition of your skin largely determines whether yo...
How is the stratum corneum different from the epidermis as a whole?
The stratum corneum is the epidermis' protective outer layer. The stratum corneum is composed of cel...
Is it normal to sweat from only one armpit?
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about sweating.
What is the wenis?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Wenis is a slang term used to describe the skin at the tip of the elbow. It is not an anatomical...