What is oily skin?

Oily skin looks shiny and greasy, typically with medium- to large-sized pores. The condition results from overactive oil glands, a feature that makes this skin type prone to acne. Hormones associated with adolescence and pregnancy may contribute to oily skin and breakouts. Oily skin may appear or become worse during the warm summer months.

Cleansers and toners for oily skin contain ingredients that dissolve and wash away excess oil. Other products, such as special oil-control lotions and blotting paper, help absorb oil.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

How does my skin grow?
Your skin grows from the constant replacement of skin cells. Every inch of your body contains mo...
What's the largest human organ?
The skin is the largest human organ.
How does sweating benefit my skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
If you exercise enough to break a sweat, you are doing your skin – and for that matter, your whole b...
Why does my skin change as I age?
Dr. Kelly TraverDr. Kelly Traver
As we age, we all start to see and feel changes in our skin. Some of these changes are natural, unav...