What are lipids and what do they have to do with my skin?

Combined with proteins, lipids (fats) form the natural skin barrier which holds in moisture and keeps out dirt, and other impurities. Lipids can be easily removed from skin by harsh cleansing, so using a mild and moisturizing cleanser can help to keep lipids intact.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

What is oily skin?
Oily skin looks shiny and greasy, typically with medium- to large-sized pores. The condition results...
How does puberty affect the skin's sebaceous glands?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In people who are prone to acne, starting when they are approximately 7 to 8 years old, the overall ...
What is the epidermis?
The epidermis is the outer layer of the skin and consists of four sub-layers. The stratum corneum, t...
Could I have very salty sweat?
Yes. Equipment in physiology labs can assess the mineral content of an athlete’s sweat, but ther...