How do skin tags affect my skin health?

Kristi Dark
Nursing
Skin tags, or acrochordons, do not usually cause symptoms or affect skin health. They can occasionally become tender after trauma or manipulation. This could lead to crusting or bleeding. They are more common in women, in the middle aged, in the elderly, with obesity, and in areas of skin folds. They may become larger and more numerous over time. Although health is not usually affected, the presence of skintags may be indicitive of metabolic syndrome or diabetes.

Skin tags are small growths of skin that usually form on the neck, armpits, and groin areas. They're usually harmless and don't generally have to be treated. If they get irritated by rubbing against clothing or nearby skin, you may wish to have a doctor remove them. However, skin tags don't really cause any major problems as far as the health of your skin.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

How does sweating benefit my skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
If you exercise enough to break a sweat, you are doing your skin – and for that matter, your whole b...
What is the stratum corneum layer of the skin?
The stratum corneum is the outermost layer of the epidermis, also known as the skin barrier. It is o...
Why might I not sweat?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
You may not sweat if you have a condition called hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia, a genetic disord...
How much do we sweat?
During extreme conditions, a person can sweat between three to eight pints an hour. In those cases, ...