Does the skin really get thinner as we age?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Skin gets thinner with age. The number of new cells you produce decreases slightly. Your body also makes less collagen (which keeps the skin firm) and elastin (which keeps the skin flexible). Also, you lose some of the fatty layer underneath your skin, making the skin seem even thinner. These processes accelerate with a lot of exposure to sunlight. In fact, the ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun destroys collagen and elastin.

Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun’s harmful rays.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

Why am I getting a turkey neck?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
“Turkey neck”—as it’s charmingly called—is what happens when the skin underneath your chin becomes l...
What does skin do for the body?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Some of the things skin does for the body include the following: Skin acts as a waterproof barrie...
How can I sweat more?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
To help get the sweating going, consider starting an exercise routine if you do not currently ha...
How does my skin grow?
Your skin grows from the constant replacement of skin cells. Every inch of your body contains mo...