How does sweating help in the detoxification process?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

One really important and much-overlooked element in the process of detoxification is sweating. Your skin is actually your largest organ of elimination and can excrete several liters of fluid per hour in extreme heat. When it leaves your body, that fluid carries all kinds of potentially harmful chemicals with it. Of course, the best way to work up a sweat is vigorous exercise, which also makes you breathe deeply - another great detoxifier. At least once a week do something that gets you good and wet.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

How do I maintain the integrity of the stratum corneum?
To maintain the integrity of the stratum corneum, or skin barrier, it is important to minimize distu...
How do skin tags affect my skin health?
Skin tags are small growths of skin that usually form on the neck, armpits, and groin areas. They're...
What is sweat good for?
If you listen to commercials, you should never let anyone see you sweat. However, that sweat is very...
What are eccrine sweat glands?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Our eccrine glands are considered to be our major sweat glands. When we sweat, we produce mostly wat...