How do I maintain the integrity of the stratum corneum?

To maintain the integrity of the stratum corneum, or skin barrier, it is important to minimize disturbances from cleansers. Soap-based cleansers can cause damage to the building blocks of the stratum corneum-its proteins and lipids. However, these lipids and proteins are far less affected by non-soap based synthetic detergents (syndets). Using a syndet, like a mild and moisturizing beauty bar, daily will help maintain the integrity of the stratum corneum.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

What does the stratum corneum do?
The stratum corneum, or the skin barrier, acts as our first line of defense against the external env...
What is the purpose of sweating?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
The main reason for our bodies to sweat is to cool it off as our temp raises so we don't overheat. T...
How does my skin renew itself?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Some of the cells of the outer layer of your skin, the epidermis, slough off about once a week. This...
What factors may trigger premature skin aging?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Each of the following factors may trigger premature skin aging: Chronic illness such as diabetes o...