How does sweat cool me?

When sweat evaporates from the surface of your skin, it removes excess heat. To convert water from a liquid to a vapor, it takes a certain amount of heat (heat of vaporization). This heat energy increases the speed of the water molecules so that they can escape into the air. This is why sweating does not work as efficiently if the air is humid. Humid air already has water vapor in it, and cannot take much more. Therefore, sweat does not evaporate and cool your body as efficiently as when the air is dry.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

What are eccrine sweat glands?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Our eccrine glands are considered to be our major sweat glands. When we sweat, we produce mostly wat...
Why am I getting a turkey neck?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
“Turkey neck”—as it’s charmingly called—is what happens when the skin underneath your chin becomes l...
Is it normal to sweat from only one armpit?
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about sweating.
Does your skin contain protein?
The skin is composed of water, protein, and fat. The most commonly known proteins in the skin are co...