How does sweat cool me?

When sweat evaporates from the surface of your skin, it removes excess heat. To convert water from a liquid to a vapor, it takes a certain amount of heat (heat of vaporization). This heat energy increases the speed of the water molecules so that they can escape into the air. This is why sweating does not work as efficiently if the air is humid. Humid air already has water vapor in it, and cannot take much more. Therefore, sweat does not evaporate and cool your body as efficiently as when the air is dry.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

What are lipids and what do they have to do with my skin?
Combined with proteins, lipids (fats) form the natural skin barrier which holds in moisture and keep...
What factors may trigger premature skin aging?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Each of the following factors may trigger premature skin aging: Chronic illness such as diabetes o...
How is the stratum corneum different from the epidermis as a whole?
The stratum corneum is the epidermis' protective outer layer. The stratum corneum is composed of cel...
Does the skin really get thinner as we age?
Skin gets thinner with age. The number of new cells you produce decreases slightly. Your body al...