How does my skin renew itself?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Some of the cells of the outer layer of your skin, the epidermis, slough off about once a week. This is the end result of a process in which the cells move up from the bottom of the epidermis to the top approximately every four weeks and then take another two weeks before they are sloughed off. However, there are always cells ready to slough off every week. They are replaced by new “young” cells. That’s why, no matter how old you are and no matter how much damage has already been done to your skin, you can have younger-looking skin in a very short time.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

What causes excessive sweating?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
Excessive sweating reflects instability of the part of the brain called the autonomic nervous syste...
What does skin do for the body?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Some of the things skin does for the body include the following: Skin acts as a waterproof barrie...
How do skin tags affect my skin health?
Skin tags are small growths of skin that usually form on the neck, armpits, and groin areas. They're...
Is it normal to sweat from only one armpit?
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about sweating.