What role do ceramides play in the skin's function?

Ben Kaminsky
Dermatology
Ceramides, naturally occurring skin lipids that are part of the skin's outer structure, are important for the skin's water-retention capacity.
Beyond Botox: 7 Strategies for Sexy, Ageless Skin Without Needles or Surgery

Sexy and ageless skin is possible for a woman at any age--and she doesn't have to resort to invasive treatments like Botox to get it-as long as she cares for her skin properly, says Ben Kaminsky,...

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

How is the stratum corneum different from the epidermis as a whole?
The stratum corneum is the epidermis' protective outer layer. The stratum corneum is composed of cel...
What is the stratum corneum layer of the skin?
The stratum corneum is the outermost layer of the epidermis, also known as the skin barrier. It is o...
Why does my skin change as I age?
Dr. Kelly TraverDr. Kelly Traver
As we age, we all start to see and feel changes in our skin. Some of these changes are natural, unav...
What does the skin protect us from?
The skin protects our bodies against ultraviolet radiation, microorganisms and toxic agents, and gua...