What role do ceramides play in the skin's function?

Ben Kaminsky
Dermatology
Ceramides, naturally occurring skin lipids that are part of the skin's outer structure, are important for the skin's water-retention capacity.
Beyond Botox: 7 Strategies for Sexy, Ageless Skin Without Needles or Surgery

Sexy and ageless skin is possible for a woman at any age--and she doesn't have to resort to invasive treatments like Botox to get it-as long as she cares for her skin properly, says Ben Kaminsky,...

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

Could I have very salty sweat?
Yes. Equipment in physiology labs can assess the mineral content of an athlete’s sweat, but ther...
Why might I not sweat?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
You may not sweat if you have a condition called hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia, a genetic disord...
How does puberty affect the skin's sebaceous glands?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In people who are prone to acne, starting when they are approximately 7 to 8 years old, the overall ...
What is the skin's function?
Skin is the ultimate multitasker, by design. Its major function? Playing gatekeeper to the outside w...