Why do my teeth chatter when I'm cold?

A decrease in the temperature outside causes a decrease in your body's temperature and your body will find ways to hold on to that core body temperature as much as possible. By decreased sweating, cutaneous vasoconstriction, increased muscle tone and shivering (chatter, chatter, chatter), your body is able to raise its own temperature. 

Continue Learning about Functions of Nerves

Why do I sneeze when I look at the sun?
The culprit: The photic sneeze reflex, which usually causes more than one sneeze and occurs in appro...
What does the vagus nerve do?
Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointRegional Medical Center Bayonet Point
The vagus nerve (vagal nerve) extends throughout the body and controls the autonomic system, includi...
What ensures that nerve signals go to the right cells?
One important factor for accurate movement of nerve signals is sufficient myelin, which covers nerve...
What is the function of nerves in spinal joints?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Spinal joints are very rich in tiny sensory nerve fibers that detect their exact position and re...