What are the lumbar nerve roots?

The lumbar nerve roots are pairs of nerves that exit from the spinal cord, below each vertebra in the lumbar spine. These include L1, L2, L3, L4, and L5, and are named for the vertebra above them. These nerve roots are made up of a front or anterior root that controls motor movements, and a back or posterior root that controls sensory feelings. (This answer provided for NATA by the University of Tampa Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Functions of Nerves

What is the function of nerves in spinal joints?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Spinal joints are very rich in tiny sensory nerve fibers that detect their exact position and re...
Why do I sneeze when I look at the sun?
The culprit: The photic sneeze reflex, which usually causes more than one sneeze and occurs in appro...
Why do my teeth chatter when I'm cold?
A decrease in the temperature outside causes a decrease in your body's temperature and your body wil...
How do the nerves of your body communicate?
Amid all the moosh and goosh and squoosh that's jellied up under your skull, there's the ultimate co...