Why do I sneeze when I pluck my eyebrows?

The sneezing reflex is often considered more complex than calculus problem. A sneeze-whether it's induced by pepper or allergies-starts with an irritation to your nasal passages, which excites your trigeminal nerve. The sneezing center then sends impulses back along the facial nerve to your nasal passages, mucus glands, blood vessels, and eyelids (which is the reason you close your eyes when you sneeze).

Plucking a hair from your eyebrow stimulates a nearby branch of the nerve that services your nasal passages, and thus can instigate the process that causes you to sneeze.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Functions of Nerves

Why do my teeth chatter when I'm cold?
Your body usually maintains a constant temperature of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit; that's the temperatur...
What gives us our sense of balance?
What keeps you steady? Besides your spouse's ever watchful eye, four things that make up your balanc...
What is the relationship between DHA and myelin?
DHA or docosahexaenoic acid makes up myelin, the cover over nerve fibers that ensures the fast accur...
What ensures that nerve signals go to the right cells?
One important factor for accurate movement of nerve signals is sufficient myelin, which covers nerve...