Why do I sneeze when I pluck my eyebrows?

The sneezing reflex is often considered more complex than calculus problem. A sneeze-whether it's induced by pepper or allergies-starts with an irritation to your nasal passages, which excites your trigeminal nerve. The sneezing center then sends impulses back along the facial nerve to your nasal passages, mucus glands, blood vessels, and eyelids (which is the reason you close your eyes when you sneeze).

Plucking a hair from your eyebrow stimulates a nearby branch of the nerve that services your nasal passages, and thus can instigate the process that causes you to sneeze.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Functions of Nerves

What ensures that nerve signals go to the right cells?
One important factor for accurate movement of nerve signals is sufficient myelin, which covers nerve...
What are the lumbar nerve roots?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The lumbar nerve roots are pairs of nerves that exit from the spinal cord, below each vertebra i...
What are spinal nerve roots?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
The spinal cord is the largest group of nerves found inside the spinal column. The spinal nerve ...
How do the nerves of your body communicate?
Amid all the moosh and goosh and squoosh that's jellied up under your skull, there's the ultimate co...