Why do I sneeze when I look at the sun?

The culprit: The photic sneeze reflex, which usually causes more than one sneeze and occurs in approximately 10 to 25 percent of the population. This genetic trait is thought to occur due to an accidental crossing of third nerve signals in your brain at the fifth cranial nerve nucleus (remember that next time you're playing Trivial Pursuit). If you have a parent who is a sun sneezer, you have a fifty percent chance of being a sun sneezer as well.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Functions of Nerves

What does the vagus nerve do?
Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointRegional Medical Center Bayonet Point
The vagus nerve (vagal nerve) extends throughout the body and controls the autonomic system, includi...
How do spinal nerves cross the bone to the rest of the body?
Long spinal nerves branch out into nerve roots that pass through openings between the bony arches in...
What gives us our sense of balance?
What keeps you steady? Besides your spouse's ever watchful eye, four things that make up your balanc...
Why do my teeth chatter when I'm cold?
A decrease in the temperature outside causes a decrease in your body's temperature and your body wil...