Why do I sneeze when I look at the sun?

The culprit: The photic sneeze reflex, which usually causes more than one sneeze and occurs in approximately 10 to 25 percent of the population. This genetic trait is thought to occur due to an accidental crossing of third nerve signals in your brain at the fifth cranial nerve nucleus (remember that next time you're playing Trivial Pursuit). If you have a parent who is a sun sneezer, you have a fifty percent chance of being a sun sneezer as well.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Functions of Nerves

What is the relationship between DHA and myelin?
DHA or docosahexaenoic acid makes up myelin, the cover over nerve fibers that ensures the fast accur...
Why do my teeth chatter when I'm cold?
Your body usually maintains a constant temperature of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit; that's the temperatur...
What are spinal nerve roots?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
The spinal cord is the largest group of nerves found inside the spinal column. The spinal nerve ...
What ensures that nerve signals go to the right cells?
One important factor for accurate movement of nerve signals is sufficient myelin, which covers nerve...