What are some mnemonic strategies for remembering things?

Here are some tips on how you can use letters and words to help you remember items you tend to forget:
  • Use the first letter of each item to create a funny phrase. To remember items you tend to forget in the morning rush (e.g., wallet, sunglasses, outgoing mail, lunch, hat), create the phrase "What smart, outrageous man laughs heartily." As you leave the house, silently repeat this phrase to make sure you have everything.
  • Create a rhyme. If you frequently forget which way to turn a light bulb, say "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey." For treating shock, "If the face is red, raise the head; if the face is pale, raise the tail."
  • Think of your A, B, Cs. When something slips your mind, try to recall the first letter of what you want to remember. Once you get the first letter, think of everything you can that starts with that letter and eventually you'll find the right word. If you don't remember within a half-dozen tries, move on. If it's something important, you'll probably remember it spontaneously later.
Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Written by memory and aging expert Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Memory Tips for Making Life Easier delivers just what its title promises. Written for health care professionals, family caregivers, and...

Continue Learning about Memory

Making Memories with Pills
Making Memories with Pills
Did I take my pills today? You may be able to answer the question with clarity if you get a little creative. Example: Take your medicine a different ...
How can taking a power nap improve my memory?
You could turn fuzzy thinking into a killer memory with this brilliant little habit: power nappi...
Is auditory memory different from visual and other sensory memory?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Auditory memory is weaker than other types of sensory memory says, Robin Miller, MD. Watch as she di...
What Are Some Reasons I Might Be Forgetful?