What is implicit memory?

Implicit memory is housed in the cerebellum and is essential for newborns. It allows them to associate warmth and safety with the sound of their mother's voice, and to instinctively know how to feed. Studies have revealed there are few developmental changes in our implicit memory as we age. Even many adult amnesia cases have shown that implicit skills such as playing the piano or riding a bicycle can survive the brain trauma.

Continue Learning about Memory

Making Memories with Pills
Making Memories with Pills
Did I take my pills today? You may be able to answer the question with clarity if you get a little creative. Example: Take your medicine a different ...
Are memory and language connected?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Our lack of language skills when we are very young may explain why our earliest memories may remain ...
Can anyone remember being born?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When you think back to your earliest memory, perhaps you recall images of a birthday party or scenes...
Is There a Brain Exercise I Can Do That Will Improve My Memory?