What is implicit memory?

Implicit memory is housed in the cerebellum and is essential for newborns. It allows them to associate warmth and safety with the sound of their mother's voice, and to instinctively know how to feed. Studies have revealed there are few developmental changes in our implicit memory as we age. Even many adult amnesia cases have shown that implicit skills such as playing the piano or riding a bicycle can survive the brain trauma.

Continue Learning about Memory

Want Bigger Brains? Walk
Want Bigger Brains? Walk
True, there's no home-gym equipment designed to build up your brain muscle. But a simple walk will do. A new study shows that regular cardiovascular ...
How can I use music and audio books to improve my memory?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Listening to your favorite music can stimulate your memory and help you relax. Listening to musi...
How does caffeine affect memory?
Caffeine is not believed to boost memory.  Caffeine is a stimulant and may increase your ability to ...
How Can Exercise Help Improve My Memory?