What is confabulation?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
A confabulation is not a lie. It is an inability to differentiate between what really happened, what didn't, and when or where it happened. A person may take pieces of information and link them together in a way that is false. Typically, confabulation is done in order to answer a question or contribute to the conversation. To those who don't know the person well or weren't present during the event (that didn't take place), the statements may seem perfectly plausible. Confabulation can sometimes cause embarrassment or even problems for a caregiver. Dementia patients have been known to confabulate events which might lead to caregivers being questioned about their caregiving practices. However, the person who is doing the confabulation believes what they are saying and should be treated with respect and dignity.

Continue Learning about Memory

Memory Boosters for Kids
Memory Boosters for Kids
Are you worried that your child has some short-term memory problems that’s affecting their schoolwork? Don’t give up: kids (and adults for that matter...
What foods can help boost my memory?
To energize your brain, try these six memory-boosting foods. Red onions contain quercetin, a phyto...
What's a word game that can benefit my brain?
Dr. Cynthia R. Green, PhDDr. Cynthia R. Green, PhD
Here's a word game you may not have played before -- Sentence Scramble. It's a quick, fun word g...
How Can I Make My Memory Better?
How Can I Make My Memory Better?