What is confabulation?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
A confabulation is not a lie. It is an inability to differentiate between what really happened, what didn't, and when or where it happened. A person may take pieces of information and link them together in a way that is false. Typically, confabulation is done in order to answer a question or contribute to the conversation. To those who don't know the person well or weren't present during the event (that didn't take place), the statements may seem perfectly plausible. Confabulation can sometimes cause embarrassment or even problems for a caregiver. Dementia patients have been known to confabulate events which might lead to caregivers being questioned about their caregiving practices. However, the person who is doing the confabulation believes what they are saying and should be treated with respect and dignity.

Continue Learning about Memory

Improve Memory with a Power Nap
Improve Memory with a Power Nap
You could improve memory skills with this brilliant little habit: power napping. In a study, people who took a power nap after learning a new task pe...
What is memory?
David A. Merrill, MDDavid A. Merrill, MD
Memory is a part of cognition. Memory is not only a mental but also a physical brain process. Our br...
How can having a positive attitude help my memory?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Attitude is everything. Having a positive attitude makes you more alert and receptive to receivi...
Is There a Brain Exercise I Can Do That Will Improve My Memory?