What is brain training?

Lynne Kenney
Cognitive training or brain training consists of a variety of exercises designed to help improve functioning in areas such as sustaining attention, thinking before acting, visual and auditory processing, listening, reading – areas in which ADHD individuals often experience difficulties. Modalities include computer work, person to person motor-cognition work and neurofeedback.

If an individual is having attentional or learning problems, tutoring or drill and practice in academic areas are often not effective. The principle underlying cognitive brain training is to help improve the “core” abilities and self-control necessary before an individual can function successfully academically. The exercises “drill for skill” directly in the areas where basic specific cognitive difficulties occur.

The key is to build neuronal connections. Activities that include a motor and cognitive component may work best but the research is not to a degree that one can assert brain training is yet an evidence based treatment. In a few years, we’ll surely know more.

Research is ongoing as to what forms of brain training are effective. Some programs include Captain’s Log, COGMED, MC2, Brain Gym and Brain Builder.

Continue Learning about Memory

3 Ways to Prevent Memory Loss
3 Ways to Prevent Memory Loss
Willie Nelson crooned the love tune Sweet Memories. But the truth is sweets and memories don’t go together. For the 105 million North Americans who ha...
What is implicit memory?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Implicit memory is housed in the cerebellum and is essential for newborns. It allows them to associa...
What are some mnemonic strategies for remembering things?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Here are some tips on how you can use letters and words to help you remember items you tend to f...
Is There a Brain Exercise I Can Do That Will Improve My Memory?