What are benefits of doodling?

Research suggests that doodling may help us attend, maintain focus, and remember more effectively. A study published in Applied Cognitive Psychology found that subjects assigned a doodling task not only did better when quizzed on what they were monitoring in a phone call, but also did 29% better than their non-doodling counterparts on a surprise memory test.

Why would something that improves attention matter to our memory? Attention is critical to acquisition, which is the first step of learning. Usually when we think we have forgotten something such as a name, in truth we simply weren't paying attention when we first learned it. As I often joke to my audiences, this is a "getting" not a "forgetting" problem. An activity like doodling, which improves attention, makes it more likely that you will acquire things that you want to recall.

So go ahead and doodle -- no need to feel guilty about it! If anyone asks, just tell them your doodle is helping your noodle.
30 Days to Total Brain Health®

30 Days to Total Brain Health®

Get ready to make the move to better brain health! In this remarkably effective, scientifically-grounded plan, Dr. Cynthia Green, a clinical psychologist and one of the country's most notable experts...

Continue Learning about Memory

Track Your Meds Better with These Memory Tricks
When you take a daily pill, it can be tough to remember if you're on schedule or thinking of yesterday's dose. So use memory tricks to jog your memory...
Is there a brain exercise I can do that will improve my memory?
Majid Fotuhi, MDMajid Fotuhi, MD
There are exercises you can do to increase the size of your hippocampus, which controls memory; cros...
Can eating honey boost memory?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Postmenopausal women may experience short-term memory loss associated with a decrease in hormone...
How Can Exercise Help Improve My Memory?