What are benefits of doodling?

Research suggests that doodling may help us attend, maintain focus, and remember more effectively. A study published in Applied Cognitive Psychology found that subjects assigned a doodling task not only did better when quizzed on what they were monitoring in a phone call, but also did 29% better than their non-doodling counterparts on a surprise memory test.

Why would something that improves attention matter to our memory? Attention is critical to acquisition, which is the first step of learning. Usually when we think we have forgotten something such as a name, in truth we simply weren't paying attention when we first learned it. As I often joke to my audiences, this is a "getting" not a "forgetting" problem. An activity like doodling, which improves attention, makes it more likely that you will acquire things that you want to recall.

So go ahead and doodle -- no need to feel guilty about it! If anyone asks, just tell them your doodle is helping your noodle.
30 Days to Total Brain Health®

30 Days to Total Brain Health®

Get ready to make the move to better brain health! In this remarkably effective, scientifically-grounded plan, Dr. Cynthia Green, a clinical psychologist and one of the country's most notable experts...

Continue Learning about Memory

Forget What You Got Up to Get?
Forget What You Got Up to Get?
Do you sometimes feel like you have the memory of a mosquito—especially when you walk into a room and immediately forget what you came in for? Here's ...
How can I remember where I parked my car?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Tie a bright ribbon on your car radio antenna to help locate your car quickly in large grocery o...
How can my mood affect my memory?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Mood is important for memory. When a person is depressed, his or her memory is affected until the mo...
How Does Normal Aging Affect Memory?
How Does Normal Aging Affect Memory?