How can I remember my medical appointments?

There are several things you can do to remember your medical appointments:
  • Schedule annual appointments (physicals, eye exams, mammograms, etc.) around annual events such as birthdays or anniversaries to help you remember your appointment. Choose a time of year that is less busy for both you and your doctor.
  • Mark your calendar to schedule long-range appointments. If you are seeing a specialist and it takes weeks or months to schedule an appointment, enter the reminder information on your calendar two to three months before you need to see the doctor.
  • Have your doctor's receptionist write the date and time of your next appointment on a business or appointment card. If you must change the appointment, you'll have the phone number handy. This tip works well any place you make return or follow-up appointments.
  • Temporarily record an appointment on the palm of your hand. Don't have a business card or calendar with you to record the date? Write the date in the palm of your hand to remember until you get home and can write it on your calendar.
  • Ask your doctor's office to remind you of an appointment by sending you a reminder letter or calling you a day or two before your appointment. You could also ask for a reminder note to make a six-month dental checkup, an annual mammogram or a two-year colonoscopy.
Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Written by memory and aging expert Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Memory Tips for Making Life Easier delivers just what its title promises. Written for health care professionals, family caregivers, and...

Continue Learning about Memory

Improve Memory with a Power Nap
Improve Memory with a Power Nap
You could improve memory skills with this brilliant little habit: power napping. In a study, people who took a power nap after learning a new task pe...
How can I know which memory strategies will work best for me?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Matching your memory strategies to your learning style will help you remember better. Do you lea...
Can caffeine boost your memory?
Though there's some evidence that nicotine (in the form of a patch, not the kind you smoke) plays so...
Find Your Purpose to Strengthen Your Mind