How can I remember my doctor's instructions?

Remember what works for you when learning something challenging—a new task at your job, for example—and apply it here.
  • Simply listen. For some people, that’s all it takes
  • Repetition. The first discussion you have with a physician is not likely to be your last. He expects to repeat information to you; you  will also hear the information again from the staff, such as the PA. Redundancy is not a waste of time here—it reinforces your learning.
  • Bring someone with you. A friend or family member can help you remember and discuss what was said.
  • Take notes. If you are comfortable doing so, bring a pen and paper and write down key points during your visit.
Tape the discussion. You can play it back in the quiet of your home later, as well as share it with family members.

Continue Learning about Memory

Making Memories with Pills
Making Memories with Pills
Did I take my pills today? You may be able to answer the question with clarity if you get a little creative. Example: Take your medicine a different ...
How Can Exercise Help Improve My Memory?
Brain Fog After Major Surgery
Brain Fog After Major Surgery
How Does Normal Aging Affect Memory?
How Does Normal Aging Affect Memory?