How does memory work?

A region of the brain called the hippocampus is involved in fixing new memories. The hippocampus is made up of several regions (the entorhinal cortex, dentate gyrus, CA1 subfield and subiculum) that work together as a circuit in learning new memories, according to Dr. Scott Small – "the name of someone you met recently, where you put your keys, a new software program." Aging, diabetes, vascular diseases, and stroke all damage the hippocampus, but each targets a different region. Alzheimer's disease, for example, affects the entorhinal cortex, and stroke affects the CA1 subfield and the subiculum, while normal cognitive aging targets the dentate gyrus. "The early stages of Alzheimer's and normal aging look very similar using standard memory tests, though," said Dr. Small, "because they access the whole circuit. It's as though different parts of your computer are down, but the end result is the same, it's not working."

The molecular basis of memory is poorly understood. There is some evidence that changes in the shape of certain proteins can play a role. The standard laboratory model for memory is called long-term potentiation and appears to involve a process called protein phosphorylation, in which a kind of decoration, called a phosphate, is added to the protein to stabilize the shape that holds on to the memory.  There is also evidence that shape changes similar to what happens in prion disease may underlie memory.

Continue Learning about Memory

Track Your Meds Better with These Memory Tricks
When you take a daily pill, it can be tough to remember if you're on schedule or thinking of yesterday's dose. So use memory tricks to jog your memory...
How can I learn new things to improve my memory?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To learn new things, challenge yourself with word games and puzzles, stay informed about the world a...
What are some of the different memory compartments in the brain?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Episodic memory or the memory of recent events and new information is stored in the temporal lobe an...
How Can I Make My Memory Better?
How Can I Make My Memory Better?