How can I know which memory strategies will work best for me?

Matching your memory strategies to your learning style will help you remember better. Do you learn better by seeing or hearing? If you don't know, try this little test. Have someone watch your eyes as they ask you familiar questions: "How much is 2 plus 2? Where do you live? What is your pet's (spouse's, child's) name?" Then have them ask you a question that requires some thinking: "Where did you go on your last vacation?" If you looked at the ceiling before you answered, you are a visual learner. If you looked to the side (toward your ears), you are an auditory learner. Using several senses at once, of course, will increase your ability to remember.
Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Written by memory and aging expert Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Memory Tips for Making Life Easier delivers just what its title promises. Written for health care professionals, family caregivers, and...

Continue Learning about Memory

Boost Your Memory with a Dose of Curiosity
If you don’t know what year Bob Hope and Shirley Ross originally sang “Thanks for the Memory,” but are curious to find out, chances are you’ll remembe...
What are bacopa supplements?
Dr. Sanam Hafeez, PsyDDr. Sanam Hafeez, PsyD
Bacopa monnieri is a nootropic herb that is touted to improve memory and cognition. Watch neuropsych...
How can I remember the warning signs of a stroke?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To remember the warning signs of a stroke, you might find this mnemonic helpful: We kNow the Hints t...
Find Your Purpose to Strengthen Your Mind