How does DHA affect memory and cognitive function in older adults?

Majid Fotuhi, MD
Neurology
DHA is excellent brain food; when you increase DHA levels, you increase the size of your hippocampus, which controls memory. In this video, neurologist Majid Fotuhi, MD/PhD, explains the benefits of DHA for brain health, and the best ways to get it. 
Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
A study published in an issue of "Alzheimer's & Dementia" found that docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) taken for six months improved memory and learning in healthy older adults with mild memory complaints. DHA is the principle omega-3 fatty acid in the brain, and previous studies have associated low levels with cognitive decline in healthy elderly and Alzheimer's patients. Another study, published in the "Journal of the American Medical Association" and conducted in people with Alzheimer's disease, didn't find that DHA significantly benefitted cognitive function; however, the lead author of that study noted that the results may have been different had DHA been administered before the disease progressed. The data suggest that taking DHA early could benefit you if you have memory concerns.

Continue Learning about Memory

Defend Yourself Against Memory Loss
Defend Yourself Against Memory Loss
If you're a fan of dynamic duos -- Batman and Robin, peanut butter and bananas, Roizen and Oz -- here's a new pair your brain will love: exercise and ...
How can I boost my memory naturally?
Gayatri Devi, MDGayatri Devi, MD
Some ways to boost your memory naturally include sleeping well, exercising, using parts of your brai...
How can I remember names, places, and faces as I age?
There are some things that can help your memory. Learn about them in this video with Dr. Oz.
How Can I Make My Memory Better?
How Can I Make My Memory Better?