How can I use visualization to remember things?

Visualize what you want to remember, such as day of the week, where you will be, what you will be doing and who you will be with. Imagine yourself in that location, on that day, doing what you will be doing. When the time comes, you'll be more likely to remember. You can use this technique to remember appointments, names or when to take your medications.

Create a mental picture. If you suffer from intermittent memory lapses, like forgetting a name or particular word, tell yourself not to fret about it. Relax and create a mental picture of what you want to remember. If you are going to the grocery store to pick up five items (e.g., chicken, milk, bread, bananas and laundry detergent), think of a chicken washing clothes while eating a banana sandwich with milk. The crazier the mental picture, the better.
Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Written by memory and aging expert Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Memory Tips for Making Life Easier delivers just what its title promises. Written for health care professionals, family caregivers, and...

Continue Learning about Memory

Making Memories with Pills
Making Memories with Pills
Did I take my pills today? You may be able to answer the question with clarity if you get a little creative. Example: Take your medicine a different ...
How can I learn new things to improve my memory?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To learn new things, challenge yourself with word games and puzzles, stay informed about the world a...
How can my mood affect my memory?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Mood is important for memory. When a person is depressed, his or her memory is affected until the mo...
How Can I Improve My Memory?
How Can I Improve My Memory?