If we can form memories as babies, why do we forget them as adults?

To create memories, humans must form synapses, or connections between brain cells. These connections encode sensory information from a particular event into our memory. Our brains then organize the information into categories and then link it to other similar data, a process called consolidation. For a memory to last, we must periodically retrieve the memory and retrace the initial synapses, which reinforces the connections.

Continue Learning about Memory

Variety Strengthens the Aging Brain
Variety Strengthens the Aging Brain
When the West Auckland Old Farts soccer team takes the field, you might assume from their name they’re not that serious about winning. But you’d be wr...
What are some of the different memory compartments in the brain?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Episodic memory or the memory of recent events and new information is stored in the temporal lobe an...
How can I use music and audio books to improve my memory?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Listening to your favorite music can stimulate your memory and help you relax. Listening to musi...
How can I remember names, places, and faces as I age?
There are some things that can help your memory. Learn about them in this video with Dr. Oz.