What are some of the different memory compartments in the brain?

Episodic memory or the memory of recent events and new information is stored in the temporal lobe and the prefrontal cortex. We store our semantic memory, which is general knowledge and facts, in the temporal lobe and the cortex. The skills that have become second nature, like typing or walking, are called procedural memory and they are stored in our cerebellum. And, finally, our working memory, which includes the number you need to make a telephone call and your ability to remember how to get to your child's school, is kept in the prefrontal cortex.

Continue Learning about Memory

Boost Your Memory with a Dose of Curiosity
If you don’t know what year Bob Hope and Shirley Ross originally sang “Thanks for the Memory,” but are curious to find out, chances are you’ll remembe...
How can I know which memory strategies will work best for me?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Matching your memory strategies to your learning style will help you remember better. Do you lea...
How can I remember my doctor's instructions?
Ask for videotaped instructions for special procedures to perform at home. If you have difficult...
What is memory?
David A. Merrill, MDDavid A. Merrill, MD
Memory is a part of cognition. Memory is not only a mental but also a physical brain process. Our br...