Can storytelling benefit the brain?

Storytelling is certain to get your creative juices going and give you a great way to challenge your mind in a new and different way. Research has shown that staying intellectually engaged may lower our dementia risk, so go ahead and start telling your tale.

Try starting your story with one of the following lines, or beginning with one of your own:
  • "As she walked along the narrow path, Martha came upon…"
  • "Little did I suspect that…"
  • "The noises of the night rarely disturbed Roger's sleep, yet that night…"
30 Days to Total Brain Health®

30 Days to Total Brain Health®

Get ready to make the move to better brain health! In this remarkably effective, scientifically-grounded plan, Dr. Cynthia Green, a clinical psychologist and one of the country's most notable experts...

Continue Learning about Memory

Reading Something Aloud Can Help You Remember It
Good news! If you talk to yourself to help you remember things: A study shows that speaking—or singing and dancing—out loud can help improve long-term...
How does eating fish help my memory?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
If you suffer from depression, poor memory or a number of other conditions, there's a good chance th...
How can I remember the warning signs of a stroke?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To remember the warning signs of a stroke, you might find this mnemonic helpful: We kNow the Hints t...
How Is Auditory Memory Different from Visual and Other Sensory Memory?