Can anyone remember being born?

When you think back to your earliest memory, perhaps you recall images of a birthday party or scenes from a family vacation. If you think back to when that event occurred, chances are it was no earlier than your third birthday.

In fact, you may be able to remember only a few memories between the ages of 3 and 7, although photographs or other cues may trigger more.

This inability to remember your early life, including your birth, is called childhood amnesia. It is a term that conveys in a broader sense a condition Sigmund Freud coined in 1899, which he called infantile amnesia.

Freud proposed that people used infantile amnesia to repress traumatic, and frequently sexual, urgings during that period of their life. Freud claimed that humans create screen memories or altered versions of events to block those unconscious drives of the id and to protect the conscious ego.

Continue Learning about Memory

Can Laughter Help Trigger Memories?
Can Laughter Help Trigger Memories?
A doctor, wearing a long white lab coat and a stethoscope around his neck, walks into a bar with a very large, blue parrot on his shoulder. “Wow!” sa...
How can I remember names, places, and faces as I age?
There are some things that can help your memory. Learn about them in this video with Dr. Oz.
What are some of the different memory compartments in the brain?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Episodic memory or the memory of recent events and new information is stored in the temporal lobe an...
How can I remember things better?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Some general memory techniques include: Do it now. This is probably the most important memory enha...