What is muscle weakness?

Muscle weakness is a medical term that means your voluntary muscles cannot contract normally even when you exert a full effort. Muscle contraction requires that the spinal cord and the nerves receive a signal from the brain. If the nervous system, the muscles, or the area between the two are diseased or damaged, you can have muscle weakness. Muscle weakness is not just feeling tired or weak, it is a neuromuscular disorder.

Continue Learning about Functions of Muscles

What is the function of the hamstring muscles?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
On the back of the thigh are the hamstring muscles, which have origins at the back of the ilium as w...
What are involuntary muscle activities?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Involuntary muscle activities are going on continuously to keep you alive. Your heart, which itself ...
How does the rib cage help me breathe?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The rib cage assists with breathing by using a pair of muscles located between each rib known as the...
What is the most important muscle for improving my vertical jump height?
This common question is not easily answered.  Many muscles contribute to a vertical leap, includ...