How does the rib cage help me breathe?

The rib cage assists with breathing by using a pair of muscles located between each rib known as the internal intercostals and external intercostals.

The external intercostal muscles raise the rib cage and help with inspiration, or breathing in. The internal intercostal muscles lower the rib cage and help with expiration, or breathing out. (This answer provided for NATA by the University of Montana Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Functions of Muscles

What is the most important muscle for improving my vertical jump height?
This common question is not easily answered.  Many muscles contribute to a vertical leap, includ...
What is the function of sensory and motor nerves in muscle?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
An important group of structures within the muscle are the sensory and motor nerves. These nerve...
What is muscle weakness?
Muscle weakness is a medical term that means your voluntary muscles cannot contract normally even wh...
What is the function of the hamstring muscles?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
On the back of the thigh are the hamstring muscles, which have origins at the back of the ilium as w...