How does the rib cage help me breathe?

The rib cage assists with breathing by using a pair of muscles located between each rib known as the internal intercostals and external intercostals.

The external intercostal muscles raise the rib cage and help with inspiration, or breathing in. The internal intercostal muscles lower the rib cage and help with expiration, or breathing out. (This answer provided for NATA by the University of Montana Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Functions of Muscles

What is the Phosphagen System?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Every muscle cell has some amount of ATP. Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is the way your body uses bio...
What do my rhomboid muscles do?
The rhomboids are key muscles in the mid/upper back that squeeze the shoulder blades together and pr...
How many muscles does it take to smile?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In spite of what you might have heard or read in an e-mail, science doesn't have a definitive number...
How do nerves in muscles communicate with the body?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Under ideal circumstances, the nerves in muscles are constantly producing and transmitting infor...