Why do linemen wear knee braces in football?

Knee braces can be worn to protect against damage to the ligaments of the knee, or they can be worn to improve the stability of the knee. Linemen typically wear knee braces that protect them from lateral forces to the knee (a force applied to the outside of the knee). (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Football

What is the proper way to tackle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Proper tackling techniques include making sure that the person tackling sees what he is tackling. Al...
How can I add to the protection from football shoulder pads?
Along with wearing shoulder pads, you can add items for a little extra protection and cushion. T...
How do I prevent receivers from slowing down prior to the catch?
Many times speed development neglects to train the subtle nuances that occur on the field, like ...
What kind of face masks are used for different football positions?
Different positions in football have different kinds of football helmet face masks in order to p...