When should I start my off-season program?

If football is a year long focus, 20 weeks prior to the start of camp is plenty to get football ready.  If you are playing other sports, it's a good idea to maintain a modified training schedule even when you are in-season; this helps your performance for that sport as well as help your conditioning transfer over to football. Once you transition to football full-time, 4 to 6 weeks is plenty to get ready for the season- but only if you are maintaining a reasonably high level of conditioning. You should always maintain a reasonable level of fitness regardless of specialization. Get fit, stay that way 365 days a year, and then specialize as you get closer to the season.

Continue Learning about Football

What kind of face masks are used for different football positions?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Different positions in football have different kinds of football helmet face masks in order to p...
Is lifting weights enough to prepare my body for playing football?
Lifting weights is a great start to preparing your body, however you should also add in cardio condi...
How are football helmets tested for safety?
Football helmets are tested by mounting a football helmet on a synthetic head model and dropping...
How should I choose football cleats?
The answer depends on the position you play, the type of surface played on, the amount of ankle ...