When should I start my off-season program?

If football is a year long focus, 20 weeks prior to the start of camp is plenty to get football ready.  If you are playing other sports, it's a good idea to maintain a modified training schedule even when you are in-season; this helps your performance for that sport as well as help your conditioning transfer over to football. Once you transition to football full-time, 4 to 6 weeks is plenty to get ready for the season- but only if you are maintaining a reasonably high level of conditioning. You should always maintain a reasonable level of fitness regardless of specialization. Get fit, stay that way 365 days a year, and then specialize as you get closer to the season.

Continue Learning about Football

What types of football helmets lower the risk of head injuries?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Not all football helmets are created equal; some ensure a lower risk of concussion. Watch Robin Mill...
What's better for football - the traditional squat or lunges?
Toby Garza , NASM Elite TrainerToby Garza , NASM Elite Trainer
In a perfect world the squat would be better. Lunges are great for many things, considering you are ...
How can I improve my receiving?
The first step is to receive a check up on our vision to see if we need any prescription assista...
How often do football helmets need to be reconditioned?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The National Operating Committee on Standards of Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) does not have a set...