What drills improve reactivity for football?

Any drill that demands an athlete to react off some external stimuli will improve reactivity. You can set up cones in pre-designed patterns in which the athlete must quickly go through the pattern. For example, a box drill would be a good drill to assist in increasing reactivity. Set up 4 cones 10 yards apart in the shape of a box. You first sprint to one cone, the side shuffle to the next cone, then back pedal to the next cone, then carioca to the last cone. As a progression, you can have a coach call out what the athlete is supposed to do from cone to cone (sprint, backpedal, side shuffle or carioca). Another version of this drill is to set up the cones in the shape of a box with a fifth cone in the center of the box. This is the starting point for this drill. Each of the cones have a number associated with each one (1-4). The coach calls out a number and the athlete must sprint to that cone then backpedal to the center cone. The coach will continue to call out cone numbers and the athlete must react to each cone. This is a good way to develop reactivity as well as change in direction.

Continue Learning about Football

What's better for football - the traditional squat or lunges?
Toby Garza , NASM Elite TrainerToby Garza , NASM Elite Trainer
In a perfect world the squat would be better. Lunges are great for many things, considering you are ...
How can I improve my receiving?
The first step is to receive a check up on our vision to see if we need any prescription assista...
What is the purpose of different face masks on football helmets?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Each position has a different type of face mask to balance protection and visibility. Overall, m...
How should I choose football cleats?
The answer depends on the position you play, the type of surface played on, the amount of ankle ...