What exercises will help me hit harder?

Hitting for football is more about technique than brute strength. Practicing technique for your position is the best way to bring more power to your hitting. You will really feel the benefits of your leg and core training when it transfers to your polished technique and skills. Any squatting movement will be beneficial as long as you are able to move a relatively heavy load and perform the lift with explosive intentions. Coupling these types of lifts with lower body power exercises can help improve both strength and power, which are key elements to generate force to hit harder. For example, perform heavy squats (3-5 repetitions) and then immediately perform squat jumps. Also, a strong and powerful core will be important to help generate high levels of force. A great total body exercise that is not only great for the core, but involves the legs and upper body as well, is an overhead medicine ball throw. Start in a good athletic position holding a medicine ball. Squat down and explosively jump up into the air while simultaneously throwing the medicine ball overhead and behind while keeping your arms completely straight. Perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 repetitions.

Continue Learning about Football

What type of shoes should football kickers wear?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Football kickers choose their shoes based on a variety of factors, including turf or grass surfa...
How would sports performance training help me as a football player?
Anis Khachnaoui , NASM Elite TrainerAnis Khachnaoui , NASM Elite Trainer
A comprehensive integrated sports performance program will help you achieve high performance an...
How can I prevent my football equipment from slowing me down?
The best piece of advice to minimize some of the affects of your equipment is to increase your t...
What types of football helmets lower the risk of head injuries?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Not all football helmets are created equal; some ensure a lower risk of concussion. Watch Robin Mill...