What exercises increase upper body power specifically for football?

Two good ways to enhance your upper body power is to perform high intensity lifts or to perform fast tempo movements. High intensity means using very heavy weight, upwards of 95% of your 1-rep max. These high loads demand higher output from the muscles in the upper body. Exercises like the bench press, incline bench press, bentover row, lat pulldown, or shoulder press are great to perform heavier lifts and as a by-product, generate more upper body power. The second way to increase power in your upper body is to perform high speed movements that closely mimic the speed of performance on the field. The previous lifts are all great to do ballistic movements with, just lower the weight considerably (usually around 50% of a 1-rep max).  Medicine ball exercises, done with peak effort in order to simulate the speed of the game, are great to utilize like the  medicine ball chest pass, medicine ball scoop toss, and medicine ball slams.  These exercises are fantastic to simulate sport-specific movements and harness the raw power needed for high performance on the field.

Continue Learning about Football

Why is there a warning sticker on all football helmets?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) has developed stan...
What's the test to truly assess speed on the football field?
The 40 yard dash has usually been the standard in this field and is the test that has accumulate...
How can I improve my receiving?
The first step is to receive a check up on our vision to see if we need any prescription assista...
Which type of football shoulder pads should I choose?
There are two styles of football shoulder pads: cantilevered and noncantilevered. Cantilevered p...