What are some exercises I could do to help me get off blocks better?

To get off blockers more efficiently, there are three critical phases of this skill to work on: 1.) Initiating contact - To be able to forcefully strike a blocker gives us the best opportunity to eventually be unimpeded and make a play. Your legs are the primary power source for your ability to strike effectively. Squat jumps and lunge jumps for 3-4 sets of 8-12 repetitions done explosively, will help this phase; 2.) Maintaining separation-After contact it is important to maintain separation so that you cannot get held by the blocker and can track the ball. This requires a stable upper body. These exercises, hands on ball push-up and the push-up with rotation will help: 2-3 sets of 10-20 reps is great way to improve chest and shoulder stability; and 3.) Releasing off a block -This means having lightening quick feet, especially when moving laterally. Try performing box run steps to teh side and the side shuffle for 3-4 sets of 10-20 second bursts.

Continue Learning about Football

How are football helmets tested for safety?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Football helmets are tested by mounting a football helmet on a synthetic head model and dropping...
How can I improve my receiving?
The first step is to receive a check up on our vision to see if we need any prescription assista...
Which type of football shoulder pads should I choose?
There are two styles of football shoulder pads: cantilevered and noncantilevered. Cantilevered p...
What's the test to truly assess speed on the football field?
The 40 yard dash has usually been the standard in this field and is the test that has accumulate...