Should I run before I lift or vice versa?

Obi Obadike
Fitness
I advise all of my clients to weight-train first before doing cardio, because doing cardio will likely zap your energy and you may not have the energy left to perform a solid weight-training routine. I remember years ago I would play basketball for an hour and then try to do weight-training afterwards and I use to think to myself "Why don’t I have the energy to lift weights?" Doing any type of aerobic cardio takes a lot of energy out of you, and trying to perform an anaerobic weight-training routine afterwards would be very difficult to do and could affect your strength levels. So my advice is do your weight-training first and your cardio afterwards. That is the best efficient way to train using your energy wisely.
David Buer
Fitness
As with any fitness program, it depends on what your goals are and what you’re focusing on at the time. But in a majority of cases you want to incorporate strength training into your workout prior to your cardiovascular activity.
We want to use weight training to prepare your body for the stress and impact associated with running. That helps you reduce your risk of injury and get more out of your runs.
True speed development training demands that you perform at optimal capacity - so you will definitely need to perform your max speed training workouts before you lift. This is especially crucial for the backs and skills players, and preferable for the linemen as well. For agility circuits, conditioning, playing skills, or match-ups/1on1s; it is acceptable to lift prior to speed training if the session is especially demanding that day or scheduling makes it convenient or necessary. You should always consider light running after heavy or extensively fatiguing lower body training.  All running or movement training after such lifting workouts should be of a slower tempo and reasonably short to moderate duration. 

Continue Learning about Football

Why do some football players tape over their shoes?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Injury prevention is a key reason why athletes tape their feet and ankles, particularly in sport...
What types of football helmets lower the risk of head injuries?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Not all football helmets are created equal; some ensure a lower risk of concussion. Watch Robin Mill...
How can I choose a safe football helmet?
All football helmets on the market are approved by NOCSAE (National Operating Committee on Stand...
How do I know if a football helmet needs more air?
If the helmet is too loose on your head and there is room for twisting, you may need a smaller s...