Should linemen have different running workouts than other positions?

Yes, they should have different workout demands if they intend to keep their weight up, enhance their position specific skills, and stay healthy. Lineman can perform all the same drills however, the one thing they must be aware of is the distances that they are running. For the back and skill positions, it is reasonable to have them run greater distances for conditioning or speed development. However, coaches should keep the linemen distances very close to the length of the demand of their position (20 yards or less). It is necessary for the big guys to run at moderate paces to assist recovery and improve conditioning; 60 yards is a very acceptable maximum distance to run the taller and heavier players so that they can open up their stride and run at a more moderate pace. Other conditioning applications for the big guys would be shuttle runs, lunges, uphill climbs or runs, and car/truck pushes. Keep the duration of these sets between 2 minutes-20 seconds to get the most benefit for football linemen.

Continue Learning about Football

Is there anything I can do to alleviate shoulder soreness from hitting?
Always check with a physician to ensure the shoulder soreness is not something more serious that may...
What's better for football - the traditional squat or lunges?
First determine the goal of the exercise, that can help you decide. There are merits for both lifts ...
What should I consider before buying a football helmet?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Many factors should be considered before purchasing a helmet. All football helmets must pass NOC...
How do I get in condition for football?
Getting in condition for football is best achieved by using a progression of exercise from post-seas...