What should I do for pre-season cardio training for football?

During your pre-season cardio training for football, you need to build a good aerobic base to help with the demands of a long season while preparing your body for high-intensity, short anaerobic plays. To do this, start with some aerobic base building at a low intensity, with the least amount of impact on the joints as possible. The next step is to increase your anaerobic threshold and start to tap into the anaerobic system.  Doing intervals for 1 to 2 minutes helps build this cardiovascular strength. Once you have increased your work capacity and anaerobic system, then you need to start doing linear sprint drills. Lineman should perform 5-10 yard sprints followed by light jogs, while skill players should perform longer sprints, up to 60 yards, with a jogging recovery. The next step is to transition the linear drills into more multi-directional drills. The drills require running same distances as the linear runs, but are done with cone drills to promote acceleration, deceleration, and change of direction. The last phase of cardio training during pre-season football is to perform position drills as conditioning. These drills need to be simple at first because the goal is to tap into the top anaerobic demands you need during a game. If the drills are too challenging, the intensity will be low and the goals of the conditioning will not be met.

Continue Learning about Football

What type of shoes should football kickers wear?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Football kickers choose their shoes based on a variety of factors, including turf or grass surfa...
How do I prevent receivers from slowing down prior to the catch?
Many times speed development neglects to train the subtle nuances that occur on the field, like ...
Is there anything I can do to alleviate shoulder soreness from hitting?
Always check with a physician to ensure the shoulder soreness is not something more serious that may...
What do athletic trainers say about tackling techniques in football?
The National Athletic Trainers’ Association position on tackling techniques is that coaches shou...