Is the incline bench or the flat bench better for football strength?

Both exercises are adequate for developing upper body strength and power with no advantage going to one or the other in regards to performance for football. It was once believed that the bench incline press was better suited for football because the trajectory of the bar more closely resembled striking with the hands and creating separation. However, for both exercises the back is supported and unless you are pushing someone off you at the bottom of the pile - there is not a direct functional transfer. The incline and flat bench build your muscles and train those muscles to work more efficiently, yet you must bridge the gap by introducing more dynamic and transferable exercises to take the gains from the bench and apply them to actually hitting someone. Medicine ball chest pass and medicine ball slams are much more transferable and are a great compliment to more traditional upper body lifts. These exercises demand that you stabilize your shoulders and torso prior to generating force to move an external object explosively; which is exactly what you are doing on the field.

Continue Learning about Football

How can I get bigger for football?
Two ways to add some pounds to your frame are through weight lifting and consuming a proper diet. Wh...
I get a ton of stingers when I hit, any way to stop it from happening?
There may not be an exercise to avoid a stinger, however, having a strong neck may help reduce t...
Is there anything I can do to alleviate shoulder soreness from hitting?
Always check with a physician to ensure the shoulder soreness is not something more serious that may...
What energy systems am I using when playing football?
The energy system demands of a football game as whole are aerobic for the most part. This is due...