Is there anything I can do to alleviate shoulder soreness from hitting?

Always check with a physician to ensure the shoulder soreness is not something more serious that may require medical attention. If cleared, follow these steps to help fight through the typical growing pains of acclimating to the contact of football. 1.) 15-20 minutes of ice can never hurt after an especially violent practice or game . Ice helps reduce inflammation and can reduce acute pain 2.) Foam roll (a form of self-massage) the mid back between your shoulder blades and latissimus dorsi if there is no deep trauma in those regions. However, never foam roll on a bruise or deep aches directly. If there are no bruises present, foam rolling can provide some relief by easing the tension created by the impact trauma acquired in football. 3.) After foam rolling, light static stretching for the chest, latissimus dorsi, posterior shoulder and upper trapezius (upper back) may help restore shoulder range of motion and relieve unwanted tension. Be be sure to hold each stretch for 30 seconds to allow the muscles enough time to relax and elongate. Perform 1-2 sets for 30 seconds; and 4.) After stretching, focus on shoulder corrective exercises instead of heavy weightlifting. We should focus on performing the exercises that improve the stability of the entire shoulder joint. Perform 1-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions with relatively light weight. Some example shoulder stabilization exercises include cable shoulder external rotation, and a ball combo II. Be very cautious of incorporating intense strength and power exercises for the shoulders until pain subsides. 

Continue Learning about Football

Is lifting weights enough to prepare my body for playing football?
Lifting weights is a great start to preparing your body, however you should also add in cardio condi...
Which type of football shoulder pads should I choose?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There are two styles of football shoulder pads: cantilevered and noncantilevered. Cantilevered p...
How do I get in condition for football?
Getting in condition for football is best achieved by using a progression of exercise from post-seas...
What are the safety standards for football helmets?
The National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) is responsible for...