How can I train my offensive line to fire off the ball better?

First, emphasize stance. Athletes have to feel comfortable in a stance to generate maximum output. Use the squat to reinforce a straight back and teach players how to bend at the knees and hips correctly. Next, incorporate foam rolling of the calves and gastrocnemeus exercises to help linemen stay low by increasing their ankle range of motion. Plyometric exercises like bounding and lean, fall, sprint should help the athletes learn to accelerate using great posture and improved range of motion from the hip, knee, and ankle. Combine this with competitive line drills where the offensive line is asked to push the defensive line back 10-20 yards.

Continue Learning about Football

Which type of football shoulder pads should I choose?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There are two styles of football shoulder pads: cantilevered and noncantilevered. Cantilevered p...
What types of football helmets lower the risk of head injuries?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Not all football helmets are created equal; some ensure a lower risk of concussion. Watch Robin Mill...
What stretches should I do after a football game to help recovery?
To promote optimal recovery right after practice, perform these three stretches of the muscles most ...
What type of shoes should football kickers wear?
Football kickers choose their shoes based on a variety of factors, including turf or grass surfa...