How can I add to the protection from football shoulder pads?

Along with wearing shoulder pads, you can add items for a little extra protection and cushion. These can be worn under or even attached to the shoulder pad. Some of these items include rib cage guards, Cowboy Collars, Hex Pad shirts, and shoulder pad inserts. The shoulder pad inserts and Cowboy Collars are typically attached to the shoulder pads, whereas the foam spider pads, rib cage guards, and Hex Pad Technology shirts are worn separately. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Football

How do I know if a football helmet needs more air?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If the helmet is too loose on your head and there is room for twisting, you may need a smaller s...
What kind of face masks are used for different football positions?
Different positions in football have different kinds of football helmet face masks in order to p...
How would sports performance training help me as a football player?
Anis Khachnaoui , NASM Elite TrainerAnis Khachnaoui , NASM Elite Trainer
A comprehensive integrated sports performance program will help you achieve high performance an...
I get a ton of stingers when I hit, any way to stop it from happening?
A football stinger occurs when the brachial plexus, which is located on the base of the neck, is...