How can I add to the protection from football shoulder pads?

Along with wearing shoulder pads, you can add items for a little extra protection and cushion. These can be worn under or even attached to the shoulder pad. Some of these items include rib cage guards, Cowboy Collars, Hex Pad shirts, and shoulder pad inserts. The shoulder pad inserts and Cowboy Collars are typically attached to the shoulder pads, whereas the foam spider pads, rib cage guards, and Hex Pad Technology shirts are worn separately. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Football

How can I prevent my football equipment from slowing me down?
The best piece of advice to minimize some of the affects of your equipment is to increase your t...
How often do football helmets need to be reconditioned?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The National Operating Committee on Standards of Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) does not have a set...
What energy systems am I using when playing football?
The energy system demands of a football game as whole are aerobic for the most part. This is due...
What's the best drill to measure the ability to fire off the ball?
In testing your ability to "fire off the ball," coaches are looking to measure explosive power witho...