How do I prevent receivers from slowing down prior to the catch?

Many times speed development neglects to train the subtle nuances that occur on the field, like when a receiver (or any player) is running down field with his head turned to track a ball (or to see anything behind him for that matter). The slightest head turn can really slow a player down. More than likely this is the case with many skill players. To remedy this, integrate half the speed exercise repetitions to include running straight ahead with the eyes looking back. Ensure the athletes have a safe and clear path, and get them running at top speed. Stability, sense of direction and coordination will be tasked from this simple tweak.

Continue Learning about Football

What's better for football - the traditional squat or lunges?
First determine the goal of the exercise, that can help you decide. There are merits for both lifts ...
What is the proper way to tackle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Proper tackling techniques include making sure that the person tackling sees what he is tackling. Al...
I get a ton of stingers when I hit, any way to stop it from happening?
There may not be an exercise to avoid a stinger, however, having a strong neck may help reduce t...
Why do linemen wear knee braces in football?
Knee braces can be worn to protect against damage to the ligaments of the knee, or they can be w...