How can I prevent my football equipment from slowing me down?

The best piece of advice to minimize some of the affects of your equipment is to increase your total body strength. There are many focused training exercises that can increase your muscle size and strength in one specific area. However, to feel like you have more spring in your step, perform more total body exercises with weights to improve the efficiency of your body's ability to move amidst external forces. Multi-joint movements like the hang clean, push press, back squat, and front squat are all excellent exercises to improve your ability to move your body while fully equipped to play. Even the most skilled, strong, and experienced players get hampered by their equipment to some degree. It comes with the territory of the sport; the equipment is essential to protecting your body while participating and it is essential to abide by the rules of your respective leagues and wear all required equipment. 

Continue Learning about Football

What are the safety standards for football helmets?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) is responsible for...
What is the purpose of different face masks on football helmets?
Each position has a different type of face mask to balance protection and visibility. Overall, m...
Is there anything I can do to alleviate shoulder soreness from hitting?
Always check with a physician to ensure the shoulder soreness is not something more serious that may...
How do I know if a football helmet needs more air?
If the helmet is too loose on your head and there is room for twisting, you may need a smaller s...