How are football helmets tested for safety?

Football helmets are tested by mounting a football helmet on a synthetic head model and dropping it a total of 16 times onto a firm rubber pad. Shock measurements are taken to determine if the helmet can withstand repeated blows that are of high mass and low velocity and thereby meets the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) football helmet standard test. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Football

What's better for football - the traditional squat or lunges?
Toby Garza , NASM Elite TrainerToby Garza , NASM Elite Trainer
In a perfect world the squat would be better. Lunges are great for many things, considering you are ...
How often do football helmets need to be reconditioned?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The National Operating Committee on Standards of Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) does not have a set...
I get a ton of stingers when I hit, any way to stop it from happening?
A football stinger occurs when the brachial plexus, which is located on the base of the neck, is...
How can I prevent my football equipment from slowing me down?
The best piece of advice to minimize some of the affects of your equipment is to increase your t...