How are football helmets tested for safety?

Football helmets are tested by mounting a football helmet on a synthetic head model and dropping it a total of 16 times onto a firm rubber pad. Shock measurements are taken to determine if the helmet can withstand repeated blows that are of high mass and low velocity and thereby meets the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) football helmet standard test. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Football

What kind of face masks are used for different football positions?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Different positions in football have different kinds of football helmet face masks in order to p...
How can I get bigger for football?
Two ways to add some pounds to your frame are through weight lifting and consuming a proper diet. Wh...
What is the proper way to tackle?
Proper tackling techniques include making sure that the person tackling sees what he is tackling. Al...
How can I prevent my football equipment from slowing me down?
The best piece of advice to minimize some of the affects of your equipment is to increase your t...