How often do football helmets need to be reconditioned?

The National Operating Committee on Standards of Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) does not have a set guideline on how often helmets need to be reconditioned or recertified. Different manufacturers have standards in their warranty clause that reconditioning must take place on a regular basis. Some manufacturers will not recertify or recondition helmets that do not follow their standard protocol. Reconditioning every 1-2 years by a NOCSAE-approved vendor is recommended. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Football

How can I prevent my football equipment from slowing me down?
The best piece of advice to minimize some of the affects of your equipment is to increase your t...
What's the best drill to measure the ability to fire off the ball?
In testing your ability to "fire off the ball," coaches are looking to measure explosive power witho...
How do I know if a football helmet needs more air?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If the helmet is too loose on your head and there is room for twisting, you may need a smaller s...
What types of football helmets lower the risk of head injuries?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Not all football helmets are created equal; some ensure a lower risk of concussion. Watch Robin Mill...