How much conditioning should a football player be doing in-season?

Hopefully, you are practicing at a high tempo, whether it is contact or non-contact. This is the best way to get in shape to play. Typically, your hardest running (and practice) days are the first three days of the prep week. These days can incorporate some extra running for recovery and light to medium conditioning purposes if needed. The day after a game is a good day to run to help accelerate your recovery.  Again, you will get the real conditioning at practice - however if needed, allow pre or post practice running to augment your conditioning on the field.

Continue Learning about Football

Why do some football players tape over their shoes?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Injury prevention is a key reason why athletes tape their feet and ankles, particularly in sport...
How can I choose a safe football helmet?
All football helmets on the market are approved by NOCSAE (National Operating Committee on Stand...
How do I get in condition for football?
Getting in condition for football is best achieved by using a progression of exercise from post-seas...
How are football helmets tested for safety?
Football helmets are tested by mounting a football helmet on a synthetic head model and dropping...